Sunday, March 30, 2014

Among Stars and Other Things


I often wonder about the stars and how I fit into things. I'm not a philosopher, so I wouldn't be able to tell you. Philosophers only know what they know because they ask why, and I don't question things nearly enough.
Often I wonder if there's a person out there who knows my name.
And sometimes I wonder if there's a person that can hear me talk to myself, when I'm all alone in my mind. I don't feel very alone, so there must be someone listening in on my door with a stethoscope, and they're just waiting for the right moment--the moment when I'll figure my life out.
I know I explain too much, and I know I give out too many excuses; excuses are the flyers I give out to random people on the street.
And with all the trash that's lining the street, you'd think I would've learned my lesson by now.

There's a small intake of breath. My eyes widen as I stare at the stars, the moon--everything that's beyond my reach. (They're beautiful.)
Fun fact: every year the moon gets farther away, and in time the moon will move on to bigger and better things. It won't be around, and we won't survive. Don't worry, though. We'd all be dead by then anyway.

The drop in your stomach when the ground is no longer beneath you. Your mind shakes as everything is unfolded on lawn chairs. The breath keeps flowing in and it won't come out. It won't drain. The air is suffocating you.

I once heard that the dark side of the moon has a crater pattern that looks like the iris of an eye, and if the dark side was the side that faced us, we would think differently about the moon. 
I'm glad the side that faces us is the one that looks like a man's face. It makes it easier to talk to.



7 comments:

  1. Whoa.

    I feel like the Discovery Channel and a poem just had a baby.

    And he's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So introspective and the visuals you give off are.... prime

    ReplyDelete
  3. " the moon will move on to bigger and better things." I don't know why this line decided to hold my hand, but it did. and I won't let go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's too many lines to steal.
    Just know that I'm trying to think of a good compliment for this, but I'm too busy rereading it over and over and trying to let it sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The line about excuses being flyers, and trash lining the streets. It just makes so much sense. I love this whole thing.

    ReplyDelete